Saturday, November 17, 2012

On the job

11/17/2012 -

You know, I've never really bought into the concept of "superstition" ...No no, I'm not talking about broken mirrors or warding off bad juju with salt over the shoulder. The act I'm referring to is called "tempting fate." Actually, I'm sure my friends and readers have found themselves in similar situations... You hear a bit of good news, a rumor from a friend or a plan put forth at work which, at once, would change your daily routine for the better. You advertise it to all your friends and family and, lo and behold, it falls through the cracks?  Now, I'm not one to believe that the mere act of spreading potential good news makes the outcome that much less likely. Still, it's good not to invoke Murphy's Law by celebrating your good fortune until you know it's a sure thing. "Don't count your eggs until they hatch" is the sort of adage I'm referring to.

That said... I've been an employee of FASTSIGNS for the last four weeks. By all indicators, my new co-workers and new boss have accepted my "eccentricities" and they mean to keep me employed as a full time Graphic Artist. Sorry I kept the news from you all this long!

These past weeks, I've designed logos, I've laid out banner art, I've created graphics used for trade shows and consulted with customers. All the while I've noticed something about this job that I've yet to see in any of my previous careers. It's not tiring. It's not stressful. This is actually really fun and I look forward to it every day.

Since college, I've been in a number of careers to make ends meet as I gathered the resources and experience to make it here. I've answered call lines, I've worked in a mail room, I've drafted letters for a legal department, I've mailed letters for the FCRA. It's been a long path, but if it was preparation for this destination, well then, it was well worth it.

Thanks for reading!

Lyle Polyak.

(2 C more art go to www.artoflylepolyak.com or www.themindscapeartfoundry.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment